Monday, May 4, 2009

Bamboozle Recap: HOODWINK

WOW! What a weekend!

I forgot my camera at my house and won't get back there till this weekend, but I didn't take too many photos anyways.

So let's begin - Hoodwink!

This year, they had different artists play a full set of cover songs. Here's who we checked out -

-Forever the Sickest Kids doing Avril Lavigne
-Danger Radio doing Britney Spears
-The Ataris doing The Misfits
-New Found Glory doing Green Day
-Anti-Flag doing The Clash

Unfortunately, they parked us in the lot which was not close to where we had to go to pick up tickets. So we had to walk ALL the way around the grounds to get to the gate. Ugh!

So we listened to Forever the Sickest and they were fun. Yea to "Skater Boi."

Danger Radio was next and they started with "Hit Me Baby (One More Time)." That was fun. They were actually really good and made the music sound great - basically becuase the songs were being sung by someone who COULD sing.

They did this jazz version of "Toxic" - eh, but nicely done.

A dance pit opened up and this kid just danced like nobody's business and even did two backflips in a row - rock on Britney boy! The two idiot boys who 'opened a pit b/c it's so funny to do and we're so cool b/c we did' totally got served by Britney boy.

I have mad respect for The Misfits, but honestly...don't know their music. Shh! Big secret. But I still was like - Can The Ataris pull it off? Yes they can.

They were really good and it wasn't like they were trying to be JUST like The Misfits, which I think worked.

Then I was dragged over to see NFG do Green Day, but we were forced to watch the end of Sum 41 thinking they could pull off Metallica. They are an example of a band that tried too hard to be like the one they were covering. Boo to them.

NFG choose a lot of songs that are low on the Green Day radar. So I wasn't so into the set at all, but it was a good choice of band to cover. Nice performance.

Last was Anti-Flag. I've never seen them before, so it's funny my first time is hearing them do only another band's music. But it was great.

At first I was like the lead singer is trying too hard to be Strummer or he has a sore throat. I'm not sure what was up, but his voice grew on me and the second guitairst took over more vocals and yea, it worked so well.

Started with "London Calling," stuck with songs from the the middle of their career and played "White Riot," "Bored with the U.S.A.," "Career Opportunities," "Should I Stay or Should I Go," and ended with "I Fought the Law."

Yea, even with the downpour during Danger Radio and then the chill we got from drying off, it was a good time.

No comments: